This is an introductory course in Earth Science/Ecology. The class will focus primarily on soil as an ecosystem, exploring topics such as how soil is formed, what lives in soil, why soil is a necessary component of all ecological systems, and how to improve/conserve soil. Students will be expected to follow the scientific method in order to design and carry out experiments in these areas and then use various Habits of Mind to interpret, analyze and evaluate their results.
Students will have multiple opportunities to:
· Observe – Students will use their senses to gather data.
· Research – Students will use various sources to gather information.
· Design – Students will design experiments and identify variables.
· Hypothesize – Students will make predictions about outcomes.
· Gather Data – Students will take measurements.
· Analyze – Students will make claims about sets of data.
· Use Evidence – Students will use data to support their claims.
· Evaluate – Students will propose revisions to their experiments.
· Present – Students will share their learning orally and in writing.
· Discuss – Students will participate in classroom discussions.